Principal Designer & Founder - Jam Space UK
Founding Partner – Eklego Design
After working for twenty years in residential and commercial interior design projects as Eklego Design’s founding partner, Hedayat moved to London with her family. Hedayat continues to work on projects and consults for Eklego in Egypt and in the UK. She is working on getting Eklego’s first key projects in Europe and establishing a small retail arm for the company in London through Jam Space UK.
Jam Space UK was established by Hedayat in 2014 as a one stop design destination. Bringing her 20 years of experience, as well as her passion for handcrafted furniture and original designs she launched Jam Space. In 2015 Jam Space’s first wallpaper and fabric collection was launched along with the Interior Design Consultancy. Since then Jam Space has produced two more fabric and wallpaper collections.
Through Eklego Design, Hedayat and her partners, have over the years worked on over 250 projects, both on residential and commercial properties. The award-winning team consists of inspiring architects, furniture designers and interior designers
Hedayat has received various awards for the work she led for Eklego Design on Nubia Nile Dahabeya, Forty West Apartments and 2 Residential Projects in Egypt. Currently she is shortlisted for the International Design Fabrics Award and the International Design Wallcoverings Award.
Hedayat has a degree in Interior Design from the New York School of Interior Design and a BA in Political Science with a minor in Fine Arts from the American University in Cairo. Hedayat is a BIID Registered Interior Designer.
Jam Space UK, 2014 - Present
Founder and Principal Interior Designer
Responsible for acquiring projects and leading the design process.
Principal product, fabric and wallpaper collections designer.
- Completed one Victorian Terraced house renovation in Parsons Green, two houses in Chelsea and created and designed the concept for the Egyptian pavilion at Somerset House in February 2016.
- Completed the design of a 15000 square foot house at the foot of the Giza Pyramids in Egypt in collaboration with Eklego Design.
Eklego Design, 2000 - Present
Responsible for directing and executing corporate strategy, collaborating with clients to develop projects with strong underlying concepts, leading design teams to deliver architecture and interior design services, and building institutional capability.
- Established the Eklego Design organization and built it to an organization of 40 professionals in 2014 (20 architects/designers and 20 retail and administrative)
- Led the architecture and interior design organization in the delivery of architecture and interior design services throughout Egypt in various sectors including residential, hotels, restaurants, and other commercial projects. Since 2000 the organization has successfully completed over 100 projects throughout Egypt.
- Collaborated with clients to deliver projects with original design and strong underlying ideas, building Eklego’s reputation as a firm at the forefront of design. A number of recent projects that achieved this recognition include the design of the interiors of Forty West Phase Apartment Prototypes, Little Venice Hotel-Ain Sokhna, and Aperitivo–Zamalek.
- Designed and commercialized several lines of furniture products in the Egyptian market sold through the Eklego design retail outlet.
- Collaborated with a number of foreign designer home accessories brands and partnered with them to bring them into the Egyptian market. Starting 2007, introduced 13 new designer brands successfully into Egypt.
Freelance Interior Designer, 1997-2000
Completed a number of interior design projects across Egypt with clients including Orascom and Shetta Group.
New York School of Interior Design, Degree in Interior Design, 1997
American University in Cairo, Bachelor Degree in Political Science, Minor in Fine Arts, 1994
2018 Luxury Travel Guides, Lifestyle Awards, Winner in the category Commercial Interior Designer of the year - London
2018 Build 2018 Architecture Awards, Winner in the category Best Residential Interior Design Firm 2018 - London
2017 Society of British Interior Designers, Finalist in the category Residential House under £1M (Hedayat/Eklego Design)
2017 International Architecture and Design Awards, shortlisted in the category Fabrics (Jam Space)
2017 International Architecture and Design Awards, shortlisted in the category Wallcoverings (Jam Space)
2016 London Fashion Week Commendation for best country stand, Egypt Project: London Design Biennale at Somerset House (Jam Space)
2014 International Design and Architecture Awards Winner, Commercial Residence Project: Forty West Apartments (Eklego Design)
2014 Finest Interior Design With Textiles Winner, Special Award Project: Nile Dahabeya (Eklego Design)
2013 Zimmer+Rohde Interior Contract Awards Winner, Residential Design Project: Forty West Apartments(Eklego Design)
2010 Arabian Property Awards in association with Bloomberg Television Highly commended, Commercial Interior Design Category Project: SODIC Sales Centre (Eklego Design)
Highly commended, Residential Interior Design Category Projects: Summer Villa in Gouna & House in Saqqara (Eklego Design)
Media & Publications:
Daughters of the Nile, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2016
Andrew Martin Interior Design Review, UK, Issue #14, 2010/2011
Egyptian Homes Modern, Egypt, Dar El Shorouk, 2010
Andrew Martin Interior Design Review, UK, Issue #12, 2008/2009
Magazines & Newspapers:
Furniture News, May 2017
The List by House&Garden, November 2016
Estilla, November 2016
Interior Design Today, My Icon, September 2016
Interior Design Today, Ask the Designer, July 2016
The Resident, January 2016
The World of Interiors, December 2015
Trend Magazine, October 2015
Homes and Gardens, UK, October 2015
Trend Design, Trend Home, Jordan, June, 2015
Sunday Telegraph, Stella Magazine, Little Black Book, UK, April 26th, 2015
Financial Times, How to spend it, Van der Postings, UK, March 9th, 2015
House and Garden, Insider, UK, March, 2015
Elle Decoration, Explore/News, UK, March, 2015
Country and Town House, Q&A, UK, March, 2015
Homes and Gardens, London Notebook, UK, March 2015
Wallpaper* Magazine, UK, Issue 176, Nov 1, 2013
Obelisque Magazine, Egypt, Issue #15, Jan 1, 2013
Monocle Magazine, UK, Vol. 5, Issue 48, Nov 1, 2011
Kalimat Magazine, UAE, Vol. 1, Issue 4, Dec 15, 2011
Arabia’s Best 2010, UAE, International Property Awards Publications, 2010
Magaz Magazine, Egypt, Issue 302, June- July 2010
Obelisque Magazine, Egypt, Issue # 11, Summer 2010
Community Times, Egypt, Issue # 171, April 2010
Obelisque Magazine, Egypt, Issue # 9, Winter 2009
Magaz Magazine, Egypt, Issue 203, August September 2009
Crossroad Magazine, Hungary, Issue #13, June 2009
Modern Carpets & Textile, UK, HALI Publications, Spring 2009 Issue
Obelisque Magazine, Egypt, Issue # 5, Winter 2008
International Herald Tribune/ Daily News Egypt, Egypt, Nov. 29-30, 2008
FLAIR Magazine, Egypt, Issue # 12, September/October 2008
Enigma Magazine, Egypt, June 2008
El Beit Magazine, Egypt, Al-Ahram, Issue # 67, January 2006
CANVAS Magazine, UAE, V. 1 Issue #6, 2005
International Herald Tribune/ Daily News Egypt, Egypt, Aug. 24, 2005